Help With Problem.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help With Problem.

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6350

• McBeaton
  • Fresh Boarder
For the last few days the connection in general in my house is shit. we have a wireless router and everythign in the house is hooked up wirelessly. i think im the only one majorly noticing it because i use the computer and devices most. the connection is at its worst when im either playing Css, on Xbox Live playing games or on the internet on my Ipod. my sister has a laptop thats hooked up wirelessly to the router which to my knowledge doesnt have any problems but im only going by the fact that shes always using it without moaning about the problem. When using the internet (like google and all that) theres no noticable connection problem and i dont think it can be my sisters laptop as she used it as frequent as she does now before the poor connection.

desperate for help as mum is starting to blame Css more than she already has.

Also....

despite the fact that my dad offered to buy me a computer within £600 mum doesnt want me to have one but say im allowed a laptop. personally i dont see much difference other than portability, price and performance and i dont see why she would let me have a laptop but not a desktop. I would much rather a desktop but then again i could do with your views on laptops aswell.

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6351

• eskimo
  • Official TWK Admin
lets note the important things first . How old is your sister ?
what does bigamy mean? One wife too many. What does monogamy mean? The same f*****g thing

http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/777811-1.png?1283343228

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6353

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
There has been ALOT of windows updates recently so maybe someone's been downloading them while you've been playing online games hence the lag?

Maybe there's a line upgrade or some work being done on the telephone cables/exchange near you that's causing lag? In which case it's only a temporary issue.

Tell her CS:S cannot possibly lag the connection - there simply isn't enough network traffic. If it hasn't lagged it in the past - why would it suddenly start lagging it now?

Also - get a desktop, they're so much better. Why pay more for a laptop with less performance when you can pay less for a top spec desktop? Mine's only cost £650 and it was with high spec components and was pretty much a complete rebuild of my own computer. Get a desktop unless you absolutely need the portability of a laptop. But then again, I'm completely biased towards desktops.

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6357

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
First there arent a lot of updates lately. Microsoft pushes updates once a month (2nd tuesday or something).

Second the "easiest" way to ensure lag is to start uploading something. Make sure no1 is using up upload bandwidth with torrent, limewire or simply uploading 5MP pictures

Third: check for spyware, ALL pc's

Fourth: download a prog to monitor ur download and upload on each pc and see if its "sneaking" something in//out

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6361

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
but there has been a lot of windows updates considering ive downloaded and installed about 10 updates within the past few days?

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6362

• Ncore
  • Platinum Boarder
eskimo wrote:
lets note the important things first . How old is your sister ?

Yes. Would say that is an very important thing we need to know before we can help youuu=) hehe

Give me Karma!

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6363

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Well... wireless induces lag. period.

Two or more devices actively sharing a 50 (or so) mbit or 110 Mbit (N) on wireless, makes everything suck.

Web works, as lag there is ussually unoticed, however realtime apps (css and so) require lagless connections.

Well, if you have a way to test the bandwith, I suggest doing this, have your pc or someone else connect directly to the router via a cable, test the speed, than do the same with wirelless when you feell lag is around the air.

use www.speedtest.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for testing the speed.

As someone wrote, check for peer to peer apps in your air.

Also check the router to be certain no one is stealling your bandwith.

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6364

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
Luckie wrote:
but there has been a lot of windows updates considering ive downloaded and installed about 10 updates within the past few days?

you could have installed the 10 on 1 day, or u had "old" updates waiting. But as i said, microsoft doesnt release updates more than once a month unless its a critical one. Havent had criticals on vista x64 this month.

U could have had updates for your soundcard etc (WHQL drivers get pushed thru winupdate if u choose to)

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6372

• eskimo
  • Official TWK Admin
Luckie wrote:
Maybe there's a line upgrade or some work being done on the telephone cables/exchange near you that's causing lag? In which case it's only a temporary issue.

true dat. I know virgin are doing alot of upgrades etc, mine went to shit at one point.
what does bigamy mean? One wife too many. What does monogamy mean? The same f*****g thing

http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/777811-1.png?1283343228

Re: Help With Problem. 14 years, 8 months ago #6377

• Lee.H
  • Platinum Boarder
Everyone above has touched upon what to do in regards to your speed problem.

Get a desktop though mate, much better. If you can, also, get yourself a wired connection to the router. Get a 20m cable and run it under the carpets if needs be. Its much worth it!
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds