Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Linux

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2128

• samurai19
  • Fresh Boarder
Anyone using Linux ?

now i'm using ubuntu 8.04 LTS in my home server (iMac 24"Wink and easy peasy 1.0 (aka ubuntu-eee) on my Asus eee PC 4G.

Re: Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2130

• VoGon
  • Official TWK Admin
I'm thinking of making Ana's eeepc Windows... that linux version is the same stock one it brings?
DS : No worries. I've just tried to burn then microwave then shred my wow invite.

Re: Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2134

• samurai19
  • Fresh Boarder
VoGon wrote:
I'm thinking of making Ana's eeepc Windows... that linux version is the same stock one it brings?

Nope the stock version is Xandros, like ubuntu Xandros is Debian Based too, thats great (All my favorite distros are Debian Based), there are good and bad things in both versions:

Xandros is a little Faster but the installed apps are older, Easy Peasy is a little slower (at least in mind, i have the original 7" and the slower one) but comes with Firefox 3, OpenOffice 3, Pidgin, ...

You can try before install it, just create a Live-USB version, its very easy:

1. Go to www.geteasypeasy.com/ and download .iso
2. Go to www.ubuntu-eee.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Get_Easy_Peasy and download unetbootin (Windows/Linux Version)
3. Run unetbootin in any PC to create a Live-USB pen or SD Card.
4. Boot with the Live-USB pen and try it, if you like it, install it

BTW: I Have the 4GB SSD Version, if you have the 8Gb or more you can even dualboot both versions automatically, using GRUB.

Re: Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2399

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Yeah

Some people runs a few hundred linux boxes... some of them... quite BIG

Due to enterprise ISP carrier, I can only use RedHat or Suse distros, because of the "support" thingie

However i'm turning a few heads into centos and debian for some applications.

Don't ask if i run linux with a mouse attached.. most of my machines don't even have a graphics card to show the mousie thingie

Console power!!! SSH pw0nage

I like "my" ibm 595... I've run pi and seti on it (128 instances per machine) and got 45s for seti unit and 7 and a few seconds for pi

looks cool to me

Re: Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2400

• slaB
  • Administrator
I am just learning to use Linux at school, selflearning that is through the rest of this semester
I downloaded and installed Debian, quite hard to start off with no knowledge at all, but now I can install/remove/update I'm making progress xD
Any suggestions of what I should learn about Debian/Linux? I'm working on the Terminal, which is suprisingly extensive, also editing/save a new file in restricted folder had to be done via the terminal. Had no idea it would be like that

Re: Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2405

• Greenie
  • Official TWK Admin
I use Ubuntu 8.10 with a custom kernel on my EeePC 901 and Ubuntu Server running a mythtv backend on my media server. When I get around to it I might test one of the new 9.04 alphas.

The version of Xandros that comes with the Eee 701 is really annoying if you want to install other packages not provided in the repository as the base system is quite behind. It only took me a half hour of using it before I wiped it and installed a proper distro.

At work I have a mix of a few things, I admin the practical computer lab, so we do a lot of playing around with OS's Fedora, SUSE, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware.. pretty much all the major ones. I also use SUSE Enterprise Server with the Novell OES pack for directory services, as well as their older Netware products.

Learning yourself is a good way to learn linux, otherwise you learn what other people want to do with their PC's

Editing a file belonging to another user either requires superuser priviledges or for a user that has read and write permissions to it. It's a common problem with people new to a more unix way of doing things.

If you run gnome and want a graphical way to edit the file, use gedit with gksudo.

for example:
gksudo gedit /path/to/file

There are so many ways to do the same thing, so it really is just about finding the way that works for you.

Re: Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2406

• slaB
  • Administrator
Use that one myself

Was installing flashplayer (used an hour doing that whole installation...), then I used this code among other things.
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/source.list

Re: Linux 15 years, 3 months ago #2441

• slaB
  • Administrator
Yay, after 3 hours, I manage to install flash player

nobish
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds