Thursday, May 02, 2024
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up!

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19241

• Mr.Moo
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, I found the cause of my ping reaching 800ms.

I forgot to clear my temp folders, I had 1.5gb of temporary internet files stored, once removed, it was fine and pinging at 32bytes @ 34/37ms

For those of you that don't know about temp files.

Windows LOVES to store temporary internet files in 2 locations on your computer.
If you don't delete them, they build up quite severly and can/will cause your PC/Laptop to slow down a heck of alot, or create problems as you've seen by my issue.

you can delete these like this:

Windows 7 (x32 x64 x86)

1) Turn Hidden Files OFF. In any folder click Tools Then Folder options, go to Advanced and select "show hidden files"
2) go to C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Local\Temp
3) Delete EVERYTHING in here. (Not all files will be able to be removed until you reboot)
4) Then go to C:\Windows\temp (repeat deleting process).

Windows Vista (x32 x64 x86)

1) Turn Hidden Files OFF. In any folder click Tools Then Folder options, go to Advanced and select "show hidden files"
2) go to C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Local\Temp
3) Delete EVERYTHING in here. (Not all files will be able to be removed until you reboot)
4) Then go to C:\Windows\temp (repeat deleting process).

Windows XP (x32 x64)

repeat above.

2) go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
4) Then go to C:/Windows/temp (repeat deleting process)

Do-not worry, deleting these files will NOT cause ANY harm to your computer, hardware or software.
For example, when you visit this website, windows will save/download the background, advertisement images, smiley's everything image and sourcecode to a temporary file.. so when you re-visit this website, it'll load faster. However, think how many sites we visit in a year.. You could have 100GB of un-useeable crap which is slowing your PC/Laptop down.

So I strongly reccomend you delete these every 3-6 months. (You can create shortcuts to these, by holding right click, dragging the "temp" folder to your desktop and select "create shortcut here" You may re-name them to something like "User Temp" and "Windows temp".

Hope this helps.

Mr.Moo <3

Pooky: Could you make your topic titles more specific next time please ? I thought this was about CSS.
Mentoz: It's in the Minecraft thread...
Pooky: Balls D:

Pooky Failed.
Last Edit: 13 years ago by Mr.Moo.

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19243

• M3ntoz
  • Administrator
  • Freshmaker!
Really nice guide!
Mr.Moo: Damn, Mentoz beat me to it -.-

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19244

• colin1uk
  • Official TWK Admin
very nice work moo

!! snake you ruined my life , i was only testing the hack !!,flacherke

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19245

• Supa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hug me!
Very nice stuff Moo and i'm glad you solved your problem. But I still think you got pwned there, all the fuss and problems just cause you slacked cleaning your temp files

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19246

• Mr.Moo
  • Platinum Boarder
Supa wrote:
Very nice stuff Moo and i'm glad you solved your problem. But I still think you got pwned there, all the fuss and problems just cause you slacked cleaning your temp files

Well, I'm sure Tunes/Waltz and other programmers will vouche, sometimes I'm too busy helping everyone else to remember/realise to sort myself out :p

So nerr. I'll see you on the server ¬.¬

Pooky: Could you make your topic titles more specific next time please ? I thought this was about CSS.

Pooky Failed.

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19253

• Supa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hug me!
Yeah ok ill give you that since your such a busy guy helping everyone or torturing some

I'll see you on the server
Uhu I bet you will and i'm sure when I pwn you. That you can't resist abusing me with your admin powers! I'm not scared of you Moo so bring it on

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19256

• Mr.Moo
  • Platinum Boarder
hahaha :p
We shall see Supa, I'm gonna find a race that has a giant cookie for a skin then kill you with it.

Let's see you want some cookies now, b*tch. :p

Pooky Failed.

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19257

There was once I guy called waltz who was doing his degree and making sure his mother backedup her PC

But forgot about his own and lost all his work

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19261

• colin1uk
  • Official TWK Admin
TheBlackWaltz wrote:
There was once I guy called waltz who was doing his degree and making sure his mother backedup her PC

But forgot about his own and lost all his work

dont know if i should laugh or cry.

!! snake you ruined my life , i was only testing the hack !!,flacherke

Re: How to remove temp files / Speed your PC back up! 13 years ago #19268

• Supa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hug me!
aah Waltz that sucks for you mate. But it is funny cause of the situation it happend in

hahaha :p
We shall see Supa, I'm gonna find a race that has a giant cookie for a skin then kill you with it.

Let's see you want some cookies now, b*tch. :p
Dude if you pick a race as a cookie I will freaking eat you alive before you can do anything. So that means like always ill pwn your ass again. How do you like that, b*tch!
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds