Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Looking at SSD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking at SSD

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

Looking at SSD 13 years, 1 month ago #18484

OK so I haven't reinstalled windows in about 2/3 years and feel its time to clear out all the shit I had to install for uni. So I have decided that I'm going treat myself to an SSD just cause I was going to at some point so why not now anyway.

The long and short of it I know very little about SSD so I need your help!!!

SSD needs: I many want it for windows and a bit left over for a few games etc
Budget: £100~
OS: windows 7 ultimate or professional (cant quite remember which)
Machine info:
GFX: BFG 9800GT OC Edition
Motherboard: Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Current HDD: Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB

Also I'm not that sure on raiding/partitioning etc etc first pc i built was this one and was to lazy to learn how to then.

Cheers for any help

Re: Looking at SSD 13 years, 1 month ago #18509

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Well, I got a few intel ssd drives, had them installed on my workhorse at home and they run like hell on earth.

If you are using windows, you need 7 to support ssd trimming, otherwise with other os (except linux of course) in a few months you will have a sloooooooow ssd, I have one on my laptop, where i'm writing this how, and the solutions is ghosting every 4 months more or less, this method wipes the ssd solving the trimming stuff from xp.

You won't get many space with that budget, my INTEL SSDSA2M080 are 80Gb and its price tag goes around 120€, they read around the 300MB/s and write around 200MB/s.

On my laptop I have an OCZ Vertex 2 with 120GB and its price went on last summer around the 250€.

You have other brands, its a matter of finding one inside your budget and google around its perfomance, controller chip and its reviews.

If you find something, post here and I'll have a look at it.

Re: Looking at SSD 13 years, 1 month ago #18510

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
1. take a look at your installation right now. How much does it take? For 100 oyu'll prolly only be able tog et an 80GB drive. For me it's not enough

2. Installing games wont give you huge advantage (only affects loading times). Best is to install applications on it.

3. In IT prices drop very fast or new tech comes out for same price. This is ESPECIALLY true for SSD's.

4. All SSD's are ment to have X amount of writes. New generation of SSD's (smaller) can write considerably less, yet it should certainly be "enough" for years.

Read this articles for full explanation: www.anandtech.com/tag/storage

Re: Looking at SSD 13 years, 1 month ago #18512

Cheers for the replies guys and I can always push the limit on the budget as I know it will be a good investment.

Ill have a look around and a read of sed article later tonight

cheers so far
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds