New GFX Card
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New GFX Card

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

New GFX Card 13 years, 3 months ago #16608

• Roblackpool
  • Junior Boarder
Evening all. Okay so my GeForce 8800 GTS packed in a few weeks ago, and my onboard graphics can't handle anything other than CSS at the moment! So, time to get a new one, which I'll order on Monday.

I am considering the new ATI 6950 (£220) - Click

What do you guys think? Are there any similar-performing cards which are cheaper, or are there better for a similar price? Don't want to spend too much, and to be honest £220 is sounding a bit much as well, but was tempted by the 2gig RAM, considering Novatech were selling a 1gig 5-series card for £150 at Christmas.

While we're on the subject here's my PC spec, which I built like a year and a bit ago, so may need to upgrade certain things. If you have any suggestions for me to improve my setup, let me know! Any help appreciated!

Peripherals etc.
Keyboard: Standard Logitech - Are gaming keyboards really an improvement?
Mouse: Razer deathadder (has the double-click prob at minute until I pull it apart and clean!
Monitor: Samsung 22" SyncMaster 2220LM
Platform: Windows Vista 64bit - Worth upgrading to Windows 7? If so, cheapest and easiest way to do so?

Components
Motherboard: This one! Click
Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core (2.5 gig)
Graphics: As above! Onboard at moment.. Ati 3300 i think
RAM: 2x 2048 MBytes (4 total), with 2 more slots to allow for double-up if needed

So, what do you guys think? More importantly about the GFX card lol but if theres anything that is worth updgrading, i.e. "no point getting a 2gig gfx card without upgrading x" then let me know, however if it's a decent setup these days and I can hold off for a while that is best to save cash!!

Thanks for reading and/or helping!

EDIT: One last question - anyone know whether the gfx card I've picked out is compatible with my current setup?

FURTHER EDIT: Not sure whether the motherboard i've linked to is actually my one, looks different, with a better cooling system and more slots.. hmm if you haven't noticed already i'm not great with computers!
Last Edit: 13 years, 3 months ago by Roblackpool.

Re: New GFX Card 13 years, 3 months ago #16612

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
6950 looks like the best deal atm
this is all u really need to know
www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-...70-radeon-hd-6950/15

PS: its not "worth" upgrading to win7 (as in, there are no "new" features, its just smoother) just for the sake of it. But if u are thinking of reinstalling everything, go for win7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roblackpool

Re: New GFX Card 13 years, 3 months ago #16643

• Roblackpool
  • Junior Boarder
Cheers mate, think i'm going for the 6950. I'm looking at a 6950 standard - click. Or, there's an ASUS, overclocked version which is slightly more expensive - click. (Have gone for this site as novatech need to order on request).

Is there risk in going for the overclocked version? It boasts 50% more power to the card for higher performance, but have always been a bit sceptical when looking at overclocked components. Any advice?

Re: New GFX Card 13 years, 3 months ago #16649

• Roblackpool
  • Junior Boarder
I went for the ASUS
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds