Username Password: Remember me

So what do you think .. ??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: So what do you think .. ??

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10223

• DreamState
  • Official TWK Admin
Had loads of issues with my install of Win 7 - five days later and no resolution (and believe me I tried everything including setting individual reg permissions, windows installer clean up utility, etc, countless reinstalls, reimaging, etc). Looked like had to reinstall it all - I've ALOT of music apps, and the vst's and licences are all individual and tricky to reinstall. Some have their own copy protection apps, some just serials, some use the iLok.

I didn't want to reinstall.

Then found this ..

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
(I WOULD ADVISE DO NOT USE ON YOUR OWN MACHINES)

In desperation tried it. This seemed to free up something and applications that were 'stuck' (all MS apps btw) managed to uninstall including all the stuff that refused to uninstall with 'unknown' registry key errors. Cleaned all up and reinstalled office (this is the app I first noticed the issue on). All working perfectly. Visual Studio went back on. Windows update working again. Phew.

However, then my iLok 'broke'. Sometimes windows recognised it but mostly not. Didn't seem to be hardware. Then loads of errors about my av. Figured resetting the security might cause issues so reinstalled av. Fine. But iLok still fooked.

So going to have to reinstall. Thought - if I'm going to have to reinstall, just as well make it worth it, and purchased a 60gig SSD. Got home tonight and noticed iLok wobbly. Compressed the metal bit and worked first time. So maybe not broken?

Question then is .. if my Windows ISN'T balked (anyone know what that command does specifically as found it on MS website as last resort?)...

... do I clone the boot drive and run Windows off the SSD or use the SSD for a data drive for steam, etc.
Please excuse my posts .. I try, often unwisely, to write in E-Prime :S
They're all dead. Everybody's dead, Dave.

My SoundCloud

http://www.twkgaming.com/hlstats/sig.php?player_id=4094&background=random

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10224

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Run windows off the ssd... you'l grinn alot it's one of those things I must update my vaio with, but the 320G still costs a small fortune...

As for the windows 7 stuff, have no idea, since I only have it yet for game play.

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10225

• DreamState
  • Official TWK Admin
Yeah, think I tend to agree.

PS: iLok IS fooked - but looks like physical fault - whats the odds of it breaking when Windows did ?

My SoundCloud

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10252

• DreamState
  • Official TWK Admin
Geez its fast

Everything that resides on the SSD is instant - all windows stuff, control panel, ie, etc. Going to move a few apps over. Ableton Live is deffo going there. And FF I think. Got 15gig-ish - reckon I can slim win 7 down a bit. Read somewhere win7 could happily reside on a 32 gig or less. BS imho

Space is an issue. Could only afford the 60gig through the business. If I can get another one soon I wouldn't hesitate for a second. It's that good.

My SoundCloud

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10255

• VoGon
  • Official TWK Admin
If you get another one, and if your board allows for raid you could get a raid 0 going, 2x 60 120 gigs... the bigger ones are still too pricey...
DS : No worries. I've just tried to burn then microwave then shred my wow invite.

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10257

• DreamState
  • Official TWK Admin
I'm not sure if its my mobo but my pc seems to be going awol ..

Bits of hardware failing - the new SSD sometimes isn't recognised in bios

Time for an upgrade from my aging X2 6000 ?

My SoundCloud

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10258

• VoGon
  • Official TWK Admin
DreamState wrote:
Time for an upgrade from my aging X2 6000

It is...

LOL

Sorry dude but its the harsh truth...
DS : No worries. I've just tried to burn then microwave then shred my wow invite.

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10260

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
DreamState wrote:
I'm not sure if its my mobo but my pc seems to be going awol ..

Bits of hardware failing - the new SSD sometimes isn't recognised in bios

Time for an upgrade from my aging X2 6000 ?

I suggest trying a different PSU first, and then... upgrade...

Told ya about the ssd, I'm really on the way (still stockpiling money that is) into getting a 300 or 360Gb ssd, but they still around the 500€ mark, so I'll have to way, I believe, if my Vaio stands for it, I'll have a laptop for a few more years to come.. and it has already 4 and half years...

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10261

• DreamState
  • Official TWK Admin
Having some continuing issues - doing my head in!!

I thought for a while it was a lose connection to the SSD. However, when I shut down, even if I power up seconds later, BIOS does not see the SSD. If I keep rebooting, at some point it will see it and then I can set it as the boot drive and everything is fine.

It's similar to the iLok - sometimes wouldn't light up. However, squeezing it seemed to make it work. But now I'm wondering - will be peeved if I get charged the $60 for it.

Could I just need a BIOS upgrade? I thought the SSD's just behave as a standard SATA drive. The PSU is fairly new-ish and all the other drives show up 100% of the time. If it was PSU would a few more things to play up, not just the SSD?

EDIT: I'm not alone in this issue thankfully - it looks like mobo related and there are some things to try - I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT2: Haha. All the settings they said to try just don't exist in my BIOS. Guess I just won't ever shut down - system standy and restarting FTW until I upgrade!!

EDIT3: Standby also has issues with drive 'dissapearing'. FFS

I can't really afford a new bundle - I'll look into whether my biz has any dosh (not much I expect!). However, should I be able to upgrade my X2 should I go for a Quad core or an i7?

i7's start at around £600 for what seems a fairly powerful bundle on overclockers..

www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?g...675&mfrid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but quite a lot of money I don't have. Overclockers no longer do Quad bundles - I'd be able to use my ram in a Quad core I guess which I wouldn't be able to on the i7. Any suggestions as to a good webshop/bundle?

My SoundCloud

Re: So what do you think .. ?? 14 years, 1 month ago #10262

• VoGon
  • Official TWK Admin
My opinion not based on any bundle:

Quad core, they are less powerful in gaming and less than I series, but they are cheaper atm and they are great for "crunching" data, and with your sound setup I think you should have one.

DDR2 mobo, also cheap and you can get a sweet deal on mem if you have ddr2 opposed to ddr3

It all depends on what you are aiming for, a long stable system, that even if you buy it now will be an i7 when later in 4 months we will have IXXXX around, or a cheaper proven built.

Dont really see that much of a difference in price/benefit deal with the new intel cpus...

Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds