Three films...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Three films...

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8841

• DreamState
  • Official TWK Admin
Figured I'd get some more film chat going by highlighting some films I've seen recently and my opinions.

Grizzly Man:

Watched this recently. One of the more bizarre films I've seen (Casshern probably gets most bizarre of recent), but totally mesmerising look into the life, philosophy and psychology of a man who is completely nuts. Without giving too much away, it's about a man called Timothy Treadwell who spent 13 summers living with Grizzly bears and recording footage, before being eaten by said bears.....

Absolutely worth watching.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

District 9:

I love sci-fi in all its forms and I got this on blu-ray to watch and ... gutted I paid for it. Fairly interesting premise, but I've seen too many of the docu-style things now (Trailer Park Boys is still my all time favourite of these!) and I found it a boring film, with not much plot and fairly predictable. I liked it's reflection of periods of our own history I guess, but that was about it.

Finally, finally got to see this. In 3D - bit of a mix up meant we watched it subtitled (I misread the word 'suitable' ), but they were also in 3D also and actually emphasised little parts of the plot. Quite long and fairly predictable but this is not to its detriment imho. An utterly amazing film, enhanced by the 3D in such a sublime way. I felt this film is the first in a long time to step the mark up in film-making. I felt that with The Matrix. If you've not seen Avatar, you really, really should.
Please excuse my posts .. I try, often unwisely, to write in E-Prime :S
They're all dead. Everybody's dead, Dave.

My SoundCloud

http://www.twkgaming.com/hlstats/sig.php?player_id=4094&background=random

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8847

• Johannicus
  • Official TWK Admin
  • Alice, What have you done?
Grizzly Man: Havnt seen this one.

District 9: I knew nothing about this movie when I went to see it, only seen the poster. I liked it a lot 10/10.

Avatar: I liked the fact that the 3D was used to enhance the visual depth and not for effects of things comming at you. The story was thin but that was the least on my mind when watching it. I actually watched the scenery more and taking its beauty in. The last part of the movie was just a regular action. I gave it 10/10 but District 9 was better by a small amount.

The Imaginarium of Dr Pernassus: Was a very good film with a weird story. When me and my friend walked out of the theatre we couldnt set a rating. But after 10-20min of discussing the movie and its diffrent conclusions it landed on a 8/10.

Franklyn: Is about 3 crazy people with no apperant connection and takes place in 2 diffrent worlds. I can reccommend this but it wont be for everyone. 6/10

ADMIN on the Minecraft server.

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8891

• Jack Frost
  • Gold Boarder
A bit old now, but I have much love for Inglorious Basterds which was both hysterically funny, utterly silly, unbearably tense (first scene and ze palour game with ze SS) and strangely moving. Also, contained the best line I have ever heard in a film or TV program: "Say Auf Weidersen to your Nazi balls!"

(topped only by Stewie Griffin in Family Guy - "You mealy-mouthed crotch pheasant!"

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8922

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin

digg.com/comedy/My_Favorite_Tarantino_Movie_PIC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8923

• slaB
  • Administrator
I absolutely loved District 9. I love the way that Wikus Van De Merwe played his role (the guy that allways says "FOOK!" He was great, I also found the story quite good.

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8930

• Jack Frost
  • Gold Boarder
Liger m8, that is absolute genius!!!

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8935

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
i have to admit, being used to stupid/idiotic stuff i didnt get it the first time i read.

Maybe thats why i really liked it when i read it again

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8947

• VoGon
  • Official TWK Admin
OK,

First, Liger that image pwns!

D9 - Thought it would be much better than it was. Maybe overhyped because of reviews I was a bit let down, but then again, after seeing it 2 times you tend to notice more some aspects of the story and whole film. Loved the way its filmed and the basic idea behind it, but think it could have been more concentrated on the aliens, the mutation idea and their ADN only weapons and not so much on politics, metaphors and similarities.

Transformers 2 - Yeah I know, its nothing but CGI, but i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE CGI and specially when huge machines destroy each other and everything around it. Bit corny on having Optimus killed then brought back to life (only one of that scenes ever worked and only one director can do it good, E.T. and Spielberg) but overall very good for me.

Terminator Rise of the Machines - See above only the corny part is none. Great job by Christian Bale. Love the allusions to the old movies on some scenes. OK the Mayor of California is CGI but who cares???? Did you want to see him fat and old? No, we want to see the bad mother that says "I'll be back" (side note, dont know if you noticed but Connor says that on this one).

Best movie this past 2009 for me? Slumdog Millionaire.

Edit: Forgot Avatar... LOL Wont say a thing as I'm going to see it tommorrow with Tunes again and he hasnt watched it. Liked it a lot too.
DS : No worries. I've just tried to burn then microwave then shred my wow invite.

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8955

I walked out of avatar and said to the missus if it was on again in 10mins (to allow my eyes a rest) I'd go back and watch it

Re: Three films... 14 years, 3 months ago #8964

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
Transformers is a great movie if you know what u are paying for -> brainless action

For me there was only one dissapointment: sound of explosions. I dont know how to describe it corectly by they used "deaf" sound, where with these big explosions IMO "bombastic" or "cracking" ones have a better effect
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds