Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Portal 2
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Portal 2

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

Portal 2 13 years ago #19641

I decided to review Portal 2, after completing co-op and campaign.
I will try not to ruin anything for anyone planning to play it.

So, after starting the game, at last the main menu has been changed from the typical valve one which is used in Half-life, Garry's Mod and just about any other valve game, modded or not. Anyway, the into scene is the best I've seen in a while, It explains the game's setting with the personality core 'Wheatly' waking you up after 9 years (I think). You get carried around in your portable room, and get to see the whole place. This is a really good part of Portal 2, the place seems really massive, when as in Portal, you had a very confined feel.

The game is very inventive, and actually requires you to think, rather than brainlessly shoot anything that moves. The new elements give a great futuristic feel to the game, e.g. light bridges, lasers, jumping goo, fast goo, gravity funnels, all sorts which can all go through your portals, which give a feeling of freedom too.

A great idea is when you are out of the test chambers, you go back to the old test chambers from when apature science was starting out. You find out a lot about the place's past, and how it was formed, and who GLaDOS is.

The twists are equally as clever, which turn the game upside down, and it features plenty of content from the old game, for example the radio plays 'still alive', and the companion cube shows it's beautiful loving face too.

And yes, there is a new very catchy song by Johnothan Coulton at the end (:

The co-op is really fun, and challenging, especially when you are trying to tell your retarded partner what to do. It makes it much easier though with the directions, you can point at something and say 'look', or 'portal here', and very handily, a '3,2,1, go!' option. And to add to the quirky side of Portal 2, you collect 8 different actions to do solo, or with your partner, from hugging to beating each other up, or doing the robot or simply waving.

There are a few things that get me about the game though, like the way valve have included a buy-only option to get clothes and accessories for your robots in multi-player, as if TF2 wasn't scammed enough. And the portal placing gets rather irritating, as they are auto-adjusted to be exactly vertical, or horizontal, or in the middle of the tile, which is very annoying if you are trying to fit in 2 potals in one space.

But that's just me being grumpy, over-all, the game is brilliant and has a great twist and a great ending.

9.5/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tunes

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19650

• Pooky
  • Official TWK Admin
You have finished the game arleady ? :s

Sure portal was short, was hoping portal 2 was gonna be a bit longer ?

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19651

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
yeh. Portal was free so it was ok, but 50-60 for a short game? Dunno

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19652

Portal 2 can be completed in 6-7hours minimal thats as fast as the devs can do steams timer is crappy and broken so if yours says less its lying

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19653

Yeah, It took me about 3-4 hours to do co-op, and about 8 to do campaign, baring in mind that I didn't look for Easter eggs or mess around in either.

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19655

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Yeah, the game is pretty small, 40€ is kinda costly, people in general was waiting for a at least 10 to 20 hours of game play...

Although, the game is good in most aspects.

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19656

• Johannicus
  • Official TWK Admin
  • Alice, What have you done?
I have played it for 7 hours now and have gotten stuck from time to time in the campaign. But each time I solved it after a while or after a break. What make me like it is the fact that its a puzzle game wich makes you laugh from time to time. Wheatley is funny and some of the signs in the old parts are damn funny. I liked it, but agree that a full 50€ is a bit much for such a short campaign.

I give it 8/10 but thats not including co-op as I havnt tried that yet.

ADMIN on the Minecraft server.
Last Edit: 13 years ago by Johannicus.

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19657

I'll play co-op with you if you like ;D

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #19678

• VooDoo
  • ✪ TheWalross ✪ ERRY DAY
im upto chapter 7 part 3 and I played it for 3 hours so far

Re: Portal 2 13 years ago #20338

• Jam
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm dying to play. I bought the PS3 version for the free PC copy but because PSN is down I can't play either!!
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds