Friday, April 26, 2024
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tactics.

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13558

• eskimo
  • Official TWK Admin
Anyone have any decent tactics as any of the three races, which we (the community) can use to improve our game. Here are some i know of.

Terran

Reaper rush - Terrans get some Reapers(two or more) ASAP and send them into enemy base, to destroy the opponents SCVs/probes/drones, crippling the players economy in the process.

Strengths - Gives you the upper hand economy wise. essentially if done well, causes the player to start from practically scratch.

weaknesses - Needs early gas which can stunt the amount of minerals you can get off the bat, ultimately slowing development in other areas down like delaying the building of the factory/ maraudors for defence.

Cloaked Banshee rush - You send in about 4 banshees as early as possible which can then cause serious damage if undetected. Advised to take out the scv's/probes/drones first then on to other buildings.

Strengths - it is a good way to cripple the opponents economy, giving you the upper hand development wise. Also if used effectively can ultimately wipe out the oppositions HQ.

Weaknesses - causes you to have a certain build if you want them quick which may leave you a bit unprotected at base. if the opponent has an orbital command or photon cannons or overloads then they can be detected and easily taken down.

Protoss

Refinery Steals - At the start of a game send one of your probes to their base and steal your opponents gas refinery's

Strengths - halts your enemy from getting gas immediately stopping them expanding and getting more powerful units. Also serves as a scout allowing you to judge what build (infantry/vehicles/air/mixture) they will go and can consider how you are going to counter that.

weaknesses - slightly slows down your rate of collection of minerals at the start of the game. Probe can be killed.

Early void - This is where you build stargates as quickly as possible to get out some overpowered voidrays early in the game and basically rape everything.

Strengths - very good against most units. surprises the enemy how quick you have them. can easily take down HQ's/barracks etc. Works well in 2v2 +

Weaknesses - To get them out quick enough and to be as effective as possible means you can't get a sufficient defence on the go, so not the best in 1v1's unless your opponent is a turtle. Can be countered by marine spam or stalker spam.

Early Turrets - requires a forge built. Send a probe early on in the game to the outskirts of their base, set up a pylon sneakily, and spam turrets next to their base.

Strengths - can wipe out the enemies entire base if done well. can stunt production of troops/buildings. Can kill all of their scv's/probes/drones with ease. relatively simple to do.

weaknesses - uses some minerals meaning production back at base is slowed, can be spotted if the opponent patrols the edge of his base. if pylons go down, turrets are rendered useless.

Zergs
don't play so i don't really know any.

please add/modify/suggest/share as I am keen to improve and learn.

Thanks Eski.
what does bigamy mean? One wife too many. What does monogamy mean? The same f*****g thing

http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/777811-1.png?1283343228

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13568

• Johannicus
  • Official TWK Admin
  • Alice, What have you done?
Since Im Zerg I guess its up to me to list that race.

Zerg:

To get a good early army and to overwhelm enemies later Queens are a must.

Zergling rush:
Use the queens larva ability to be able to spew out lots of them without the need to expand. I always learn the speed increase before I attack so I can kite or reinforce fast.

Dont bother with this if you see the enemy turtling as you will be killed.

Infestor Harrass:

Build 3 Infestors and research Burrow, cause these can move underground. Wait until they got almost full energy and use them to spawn Infested Terrans at enemy expansions. Mark them press T and click where you want your army.

Anti Carrier/Battlecruiser tactics:

Corruptors: Use their ability and focus fire and you should be able to win.

Hydralisks+Infestors:
Either take over the enemy ships and use them against him or paralyse him and kill them with Hydras.

Remember to build some Overseers ASAP because Overlords cant detect stealth as far as I known. I got killed once by cloaked banshees because I thought Overlords detected stealth like in SC 1.

Early game: Zerglings/Banelings
Midgame: Hydralisk/Mutalisk
Late game: Corrupters/Broodlords or Corrupters&Ultralisks

ADMIN on the Minecraft server.

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13569

• eskimo
  • Official TWK Admin
nice man xD

Also a general tactic is proxy. This is where you build a building capable of making units quite quickly close to the opponents base and can send wave after wave in. Good for early game.
what does bigamy mean? One wife too many. What does monogamy mean? The same f*****g thing

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13587

• Tin
  • Official TWK Admin
reaper rush does not stunt mineral incone at all eski you should always have scv's onto refinerny by the time you get a 2nd rax up regardless and if you reap rush you just ge x2 refinerys not x2 rax (at 75 each you are 10 mins in pocket...)
nothing is stunted or sacrificed, the weakness is you have no defense if they rush you.
I am the tart of TWK, accept no subsitute!!

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13588

• Gazza
  • Official TWK Admin
Zerg counter attacking play

Scouting is massively important in SC2. Now its up to you too figure out if he has 2 gateways that means and no assimilators hes probably gonna early zealot rush

If he has 2 assimilators and a cybernetics core, he is gonna go starport and void rush etc etc.

I have put my personal favourites in bold

Marines/Siege tanks:- Zerg counters compile of Banelings, Hydralisks, Infestors, Mutalisks (Marines are hard to counter as zerg early game. If he gets them in mass they can rape speedlings/Roaches as they are quicker and longer range than roaches unless roaches are on Creep (creep gives a speed bonus). Generally its a good idea to put up some spine crawlers and let them come into your grasp while you tech up and bring some stronger counters. To kill the siege tanks mutas are almost a must or burrowed roaches aslong as he has no detectors

Reaper Rush: To counter this you have to spot it coming, and then either use your queen, or get a spine crawler up just behind your mineral line so that it cant pick off your drones. Reapers can kite zerglings but if you get speedlings, then you can take him

Banshee Rush: Get an overseer, Hydralisks, Mutalisk, Infestors(Infested terran ability), Anything that can attack Air units really - The strongest counter would be corruptors.

Void Rush: This is the one that always gives me problems, im half and half and cant decide if i should get hydralisks, mutalisks or corruptors

Ill post more up later

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13590

• eskimo
  • Official TWK Admin
Tin wrote:
reaper rush does not stunt mineral incone at all eski you should always have scv's onto refinerny by the time you get a 2nd rax up regardless and if you reap rush you just ge x2 refinerys not x2 rax (at 75 each you are 10 mins in pocket...)
nothing is stunted or sacrificed, the weakness is you have no defense if they rush you.

well, thats because all you do is spam marines and maraudors, for anyone who doesn't spec that way, it will slow them do.

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13592

• Tin
  • Official TWK Admin
lol eski once agin wrong... ive done terran in alot of diffrent ways and this is just the more efective one for team games.

i fully optimise upon my econ while expanding and get an attacking force by the time i even send out a sizeable force i have enoguh econ to (at the same time with seperate scv's ofc for any simple folk out there) build; a hq, 2 factorys and a starport while upgrading in enginner bay/armoury. (all other needed upgrade will have already been done, whiel STILL building an army as a contiegency defense..

may look like a spam but it is actualy a proactive/agressive tech (not rly turtle but...), like i said i hate waiting and not attacking but if they cant hold aganst a basic easily acumilated force why bother wasting time on a long game... and its one of the basic and well know rules of all and any game strat tatic or war out there, pressure your oponent to gain the upper hand, or force mistakes..
I am the tart of TWK, accept no subsitute!!

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13593

• Johannicus
  • Official TWK Admin
  • Alice, What have you done?
When I and Tin play our 2v2 I usualy do the harassing midgame with infestors and mutalisks while building air units and teching those.

I want to try roaches but never found a good use since early game I build zerglings for our rushes or morph them into banelings if we deal with a wall and little units.
Then I go for mutalisk/infestor and roaches are forgotten.

Seen clips with a good roach sneak attack against terran since with a upgrade roaches can move underground

ADMIN on the Minecraft server.

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13594

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
Tin wrote:
lol eski once agin wrong... ive done terran in alot of diffrent ways and this is just the more efective one for team games.

i fully optimise upon my econ while expanding and get an attacking force by the time i even send out a sizeable force i have enoguh econ to (at the same time with seperate scv's ofc for any simple folk out there) build; a hq, 2 factorys and a starport while upgrading in enginner bay/armoury. (all other needed upgrade will have already been done, whiel STILL building an army as a contiegency defense..

may look like a spam but it is actualy a proactive/agressive tech (not rly turtle but...), like i said i hate waiting and not attacking but if they cant hold aganst a basic easily acumilated force why bother wasting time on a long game... and its one of the basic and well know rules of all and any game strat tatic or war out there, pressure your oponent to gain the upper hand, or force mistakes..

OH great Tin, only you can
- TECH
- UPGRADE
AND
- RUSH
at the same time while having same amount of resources as everyone. GOSU!

Re: Tactics. 13 years, 8 months ago #13597

• eskimo
  • Official TWK Admin
Tin wrote:

if you get 2+ reapers that stops you from getting your infantry upgrade/a factory as quick.

Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds