Username Password: Remember me

The New Terminator
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: The New Terminator

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5106

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
And now a counter argument by film critic and trainee philosopher and drama student, Luckie:

1) No need for 22 James Bond films but that doesn't mean they are bad films. There is no need for the film industry but that doesn't mean that it is a bad industry. There is no need for existence - doesn't mean it's a bad thing!

2) All terminators have ended this way. All 3 Terminators had the same storyline. Terminator chase John/Sarah/Kate Connor (delete as appropriate) while being protected from another Terminator or someone else sent back in time.

3) I'll admit that the writing was a little dodgy in places, for example the character development of Marcus Wright was OK but not terribly well executed. For example, we are told next to nothing about him killing his brother and 2 others or whatever it was or his motivations for it. We are thrown straight in at the deep end at the very start of the film.

4) Yes I'll admit that there weren't many plot twists. The main one of Marcus being a machine was leaked in previews and so that didn't really work that well... However, a lot of films are predictable and I feel that not having twists and shocks all the way through (e.g. Lost) isn't that bad a thing.

5) I thought the performances were good. They weren't Oscar winning but then again, Terminator and action blockbusters aren't typical Oscar winning films.

6) Yes I thought that myself lol

7) It's a film! It makes it more dramatic and exciting! Terminator is not the film to see if you want Stanislavski levels of realism!

Is that not because they have just been built and therefore haven't had the chance to get weapons? Also, I doubt any of us could take on a Terminator without erm... being terminated.

9i) It's a war therefore resulting in ballistic weaponry being fired meaning explosions and fire are pretty much standard. It wouldn't be a very good action film without fire!

9ii) It's science-fiction, meaning it's based loosely on science but the fiction takes the boredom out. Yes the Terminators are powered by a nuclear power cell but we have never been told what the rest of the machines are powered by therefore it may be powered by some combustion engine or whatever. But to be honest, who cares how they are powered! I don't watch a film for a physics or automotive lesson! I watch films to be entertained!

10) It was kind of the opposite for me. I looked forward to it coming out but I thought it'd be crap but it turned out good.

And yes. Yes it is very hot today. Very clammy (humid).

Also, to chuck some philosophy into the equation. Johnny said in steam to myself "It's fine because I know I'm right". You can't have knowledge regarding something subjective

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5110

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
no way there are no spoilers in those 3 huge posts.
tl;dr

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5122

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
HBW wrote:
Sorry to poop on your chips lads but it really wasn't a good film at all. Was going to lets it slide but a sequel....really?

That film was pointless enough i shudder to think of a sequel.

Here's an idea for script writers....get your own ideas and stop bending over the classics for a unwanted surprise

I shall even have the trouble of answering like che did... startrek a good movie? gggeeeesh

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5138

• HBW
  • Expert Boarder
Luckie wrote:
You can't have knowledge regarding something subjective

My opinion isn't subjective, it's a known quality P

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5160

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
quality is also a subjective measure

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5170

• Che ken
  • Official TWK Admin
Tunes wrote:
HBW wrote:
Sorry to poop on your chips lads but it really wasn't a good film at all. Was going to lets it slide but a sequel....really?

That film was pointless enough i shudder to think of a sequel.

Here's an idea for script writers....get your own ideas and stop bending over the classics for a unwanted surprise

I shall even have the trouble of answering like che did... startrek a good movie? gggeeeesh

I answered something? )

Tunes wrote:
startrek a good movie? gggeeeesh

+1

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5171

• HBW
  • Expert Boarder
Luckie wrote:

Not when used in the quantitative / qualitative sense

ie. Something (a known element) you can’t put a number on to give it its meaning or value, opposite to quantitative.

Which if u actually read my post is the obvious intended meaning.

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5182

HBW wrote:
Luckie wrote:

Not when used in the quantitative / qualitative sense

ie. Something (a known element) you can’t put a number on to give it its meaning or value, opposite to quantitative.

Which if u actually read my post is the obvious intended meaning.

Surely then it becomes relative as opposed to subjective?

*Opens can of worms.
Always going in for the kill; just doing it for the thrill.

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 10 months ago #5199

• HBW
  • Expert Boarder
niLdesperandum wrote:
Surely then it becomes relative as opposed to subjective?

*Opens can of worms.

No one asked you

However, my point was that it's not subjective, so thanks I guess

* Hopefully replaces contents of can and seals...then buries

Re: The New Terminator 14 years, 9 months ago #5367

• Johannicus
  • Official TWK Admin
  • Alice, What have you done?
HBW wrote:

I would add that I didn't think it was a terrible film it had it's moments..

Like I said earlier, not all bad but they could have done so much more, dared to take it further. They didnt show anything new. With the tactical expertise the resistance had, or lacked is a better word, makes me wonder how they survived so far as they did. In the 2 first movies Connors dad-to-be is around his own age when he sends him through, but when this kid will be old enough John will be retired. Too many blunders!! The intro of the prison scene would have fitted better to be shown when he found skynet. Its always best when the character and audience find clues at the same time. It builds suspense..
All those nuclear batteries and no robot that can disarm a simple trap? The more you nest in this the more blunders you find or things they could have done better..shame..I really wanted to like this movie!

ADMIN on the Minecraft server.
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds